Re: Shouldn't kernel-image-2.6.x-y-z depend on alsa-base ?

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:00:15 +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:
> Here is another idea.  We create a new binary package
> "sound-system-chooser" which contains blacklists for both OSS and ALSA and
> provides a debconf interface that the administrator can use to disable
> either or both of the sound systems.  Blacklists would be removed from
> alsa-base.  k-i 2.6 and alsa-base would both Depend on
> sound-system-chooser.  This would solve another problem with the current
> alsa-base, viz., that removing it isn't enough to enable OSS again --
> alsa-base has to be purged in order to remove the hotplug blacklist file
> that it contains.  sound-system-chooser could be generated from
> the alsa-driver source package.

I have implemented this in alsa-driver, calling the new binary package
'sound-base'.  One runs "dpkg-reconfigure sound-base" to change sound
system.

Josselin Mouette (and any other interested parties): Please test!

    http://www.aglu.demon.nl/alsa/

--
Thomas Hood