Re: Shouldn't kernel-image-2.6.x-y-z depend on alsa-base ?

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 12:12:37AM +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:40:40 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Actually, the proposed solution that raised some approval was to split
> > out the ALSA modules, just like the pcmcia modules.

> I raised this idea on #debian-kernel and it was shot down.[0]

> [0]http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-alsa-devel/2005-March/002039.html

> As one of the ALSA maintainers, I have done what I can about this problem.
>  People who want to use ALSA can install alsa-base which blacklists OSS
>  modules.

> If a fresh sarge/2.6 system lacks alsa-base then this would seem to be a
> problem because in that case nothing enforces the mutual exclusion of OSS
> and ALSA modules.   If linux26 doesn't install alsa-base then perhaps it
> should do so.   Even better, possibly, would be to give the user a choice
> between OSS and ALSA: if the user chooses ALSA then she gets alsa-base;
> if she chooses OSS then she gets the (currently nonexistent) "oss" package
> which blacklists ALSA modules.

Considering you're talking about solutions that require updates to
kernel-image packages *anyway*, why has no one suggested adding the
necessary blacklist entries to these packages?  Far better than removing a
bunch of modules from the kernel-image at this late stage, IMHO.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer