Re: dehs will stop

Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> su, 2005-03-06 kello 20:11 +0100, Thiemo Seufer kirjoitti:
> > Since preparation of the accompanying patches would take some time,
> > it is unlikely to cause "denial of service" or "disruption".
>
> If they are sent at a slow pace, then the disruption is less, it is
> true. It is still detrimental to have thousands upon thousands of
> wishlist bugs for something like this.

Why? Could you provide a rationale for this assertion?

> We don't have lintian report bugs
> for all the errors it finds for the same reason (well, one of the
> reasons): the volume would be too much.

We don't talk about automated bug filing here. If somebody writes
patches to fix (valid) lintian problems it is IMHO clearly legitimate
to file that as a wishlist bug. Of course there are bogus Lintian
triggers, this needs to be taken into account.

(Btw, I somehow doubt the volume of such bugs will become a problem
anytime soon. Simply because there aren't that many people motivated
to fix such stuff.)

> Increasing the number of open bugs in Debian with 10-20% just for watch
> files, or any other non-critical issue, is not a good idea.
>
> > Yes, it adds some (small) maintenance burden.
>
> In case it was unclear: I am not talking about the burden on the package
> maintainer, that is small enough to not worry about. I am talking about
> information that will not be updated at all, even if the package
> maintainer wants it to be updated and provides a new package with the
> new information.

Why would it be impossible for the maintainer to update the watchfile
in his package?

> There is no point in flooding a Debian stable release
> with new package versions that merely change a watch URL.

Such changes aren't acceptable for a stable release anyways. It would
make as much sense as trying to update maintainer addresses in stable
source packages.

And, just to point out the obvious, watch files are supposed to help
with development of new versions of a package. There's simply no point
to care about them aside from the one in the newest package.

Thiemo