Re: Let's remove mips, mipsel, s390, ...

* Wouter Verhelst (wouter@debian.org) [050222 18:00]:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 05:43:43PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > I can always tell you how to do things and you never have to
> > listen. But my opinion stands that improving apt-get is the right
> > thing to do, not having two divergent systems.

> sbuild includes some centralized build-dependency override system which
> would be a bad idea to use with apt-get, but which is part of its
> build-dependency parsing code.

We have to disagree there.

Having that system in sbuild but not apt-get means that rebuilding
packages from source becomes non trivial and somewhat mysterious.
People rebuilding packages get unforseen differences and even build
failures.

Is that realy in the spirit of free software and wanted?

Let me quote the GPL for something more to think about:

|  For an executable work, complete source code means all the source
|  code for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface
|  definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and
|  installation of the executable.

Since wanna-build and sbuild scripts and the centralized
build-dependency override system is part of 'the scripts used to
control compilation' doesn't Debian already violate the GPL by not
distributing those in the Debian archive?

Even worse is when the buildd applies additional patches to the source
before building. That is a gross violation of the GPL in my eyes.

MfG
        Goswin