Re: Let's remove mips, mipsel, s390, ...

Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys@hp.com> writes:

> On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 11:13 -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
>> >
>> > It is sometimes hard to get them all to work, yes.
>> >
>> > It also vastly increases the quality of the Free Software in our
>> > archive, as we discover bugs that appear only on one architecture.
>> That's an overstatement.  Simply having two architectures (i386 and ppc)
>> would be enough to reveal nearly all portability bugs.
> Actually, my long experience is that it takes more than 2; but at, say,
> 4 systems (both byte orders, both 32 and 64 bits) you get most of them.

Errr, yeah, I was thinking of amd64 as well but forgot to explicitly say

> More important at that point is getting better compiler coverage; gcc
> and friends is *not* the only compiler suite in the world, and different
> compilers uncover a different spectrum of bugs.

Yeah, definitely.  If our goal is making our software as portable and
bug-free as possible, we'd be better off running fewer arches but with a
greater variety of compilers.

Now if there were only any viable free alternatives to GCC...

Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.