Re: Let's remove mips, mipsel, s390, ... (Was: [Fwd: Re: GTK+2.0 2.6.2-3 and buildds running out of space])

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 11:33:35AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 10:57:47PM +0000, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> > But a total of eleven is insane.
>
> It is sometimes hard to get them all to work, yes.
>
> It also vastly increases the quality of the Free Software in our
> archive, as we discover bugs that appear only on one architecture.

That's an overstatement.  Simply having two architectures (i386 and ppc)
would be enough to reveal nearly all portability bugs.

And for the more obscure architectures, virtually all of the testing
comes from the build of the package.  How many people out there are
actually using e.g. KDE on mips enough to actually find any portability
bugs?

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.