Re: pwc-source headed for unstable this weekend

Scripsit Eric Lavarde <Eric.Lavarde@bawue.de>

> So, basically, your saying that the right way to do this kind of
> things is to use the corresponding kernel-headers package, and apt-get
> tells me that I need as well kernel-kbuild to build "out-of-tree
> kernel modules" which seems to be exactly what I need.

That's what I infer from my own experience. But the kbuild stuff in
2.6 is kinda hairy, and I did not attempt to trace the exact
conditions after I found a way to do thing that seems to work
consistently for me.

This may even be documented somewhere, although it did not jump out
and bite my nose when I tried to find out what went wrong.

Given the tendency of people like me to just repeat the procedures
that worked for 2.4, it might be a good idea for make-kpkg to check
whether the necessary files are present in the kernel tree (and warn
loudly if they are not) when one tries to build modules. On the other
hand I have no idea what would be involved in checking this, so it
might be probitively difficult.

--
Henning Makholm                               "Luk munden og se begavet ud!"