Re: what is /.udev for ?

"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:

> That is true.  But really, I thank that what happened shows a lack of common
> sense.  There is little helping that.  Imagine that you take your car to
> get serviced.  The mechanic replaces some part.  Next time you open the hood,
> you see a part you don't recognize.  You decide to snap it off.  Next time
> you try to start the car, it won't.  You call the mechanic and tell him you
> snapped off a part he installed becuase you did not recognize it.  He would
> laugh at you.

He'd stop laughing when I show him the label "If you don't like this
part, remove it" that he put on it. He'll have to repair it again, and
cover the costs for the rental car...

> Really.  Would it have been so difficult to post a quick message to the mailing
> list: "Hey, I found this /.udev directory on my system.  Does anyone know why
> it is there?

No, I guess it wouldn't have been difficult. But

> Is it safe to remove?"

Perhaps the user thought: Well, let's read the docs and scripts
first. And he found that sentence

# if you don't like this, remove /.dev/.

and thought: If I write a mail asking whether it's safe, people will ask
back "Can't you read?". And just did it. Well, he did "rm -r", not "rm",
but that's what you do when are told to "remove a directory", and
believe that you should do it.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster