Re: what is /.udev for ?

> On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 11:29 +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
>> md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) schrieb:

>> > Don't.

>> > "Remove /.dev/" does not mean "rm -rf it".
>> > Considering that the line above says "to access the real /dev
>> > directory", I think that the message is very clear.
>>
>> Considering that not every user knows about bind-mount, and might be
>> confused and think that it is "something like" a symlink, I think that
>> this is worth some better documentation. I would suggest:
>>
>> # If you don't like this, umount /.dev/ and remove the empty directory.
>
> This does not excuse the fact that someone with (a) root access,
> and (b) without the proper knowledge, went around rm'ing things.

I thought Debian was a distribution targetted at a wide audience,
including experienced server admins, and home users without any training
or special knowledge.

Of course there are some things we must expect from our users. But I
wouldn't count "understanding of bind-mount" among that. What we can
expect it that they read documentation, and therefore documentation
should be as clear as possible.

I don't want to "excuse" if someone who has insufficient knowledge
messes up their system. But I think if we can easily help such clueless
users, we should do it - there's no excuse for our not doing it, either.

> Hopefully, this isn't wildly offensive to Germans and Austrians:

No, at least not to me. I don't understand it.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich