Re: what is /.udev for ?

Quoting Frank Küster <frank@debian.org>:

> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 11:29 +0100, Frank Küster wrote:

> >> # If you don't like this, umount /.dev/ and remove the empty directory.
> >
> > This does not excuse the fact that someone with (a) root access,
> > and (b) without the proper knowledge, went around rm'ing things.
>
> I thought Debian was a distribution targetted at a wide audience,
> including experienced server admins, and home users without any training
> or special knowledge.

I can agree with this.

> Of course there are some things we must expect from our users. But I
> wouldn't count "understanding of bind-mount" among that. What we can
> expect it that they read documentation, and therefore documentation
> should be as clear as possible.

Again, I agree.

> I don't want to "excuse" if someone who has insufficient knowledge
> messes up their system. But I think if we can easily help such clueless
> users, we should do it - there's no excuse for our not doing it, either.

That is true.  But really, I thank that what happened shows a lack of common
sense.  There is little helping that.  Imagine that you take your car to
get serviced.  The mechanic replaces some part.  Next time you open the hood,
you see a part you don't recognize.  You decide to snap it off.  Next time
you try to start the car, it won't.  You call the mechanic and tell him you
snapped off a part he installed becuase you did not recognize it.  He would
laugh at you.

Really.  Would it have been so difficult to post a quick message to the mailing
list: "Hey, I found this /.udev directory on my system.  Does anyone know why
it is there?  Is it safe to remove?"  That would have gone long way.  You can't
"shoot first, ask questions later" without expecting that you will occasionally
do something you did not mean to do.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez