Re: what is /.udev for ?

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) schrieb:

> On Feb 09, Norbert Tretkowski <tretkowski@inittab.de> wrote:
>
>> File a bugreport... /etc/init.d/udev says:
> Don't.
>
>> # /.dev is used by /sbin/MAKEDEV to access the real /dev directory.
>> # if you don't like this, remove /.dev/.
> "Remove /.dev/" does not mean "rm -rf it".
> Considering that the line above says "to access the real /dev
> directory", I think that the message is very clear.

Considering that not every user knows about bind-mount, and might be
confused and think that it is "something like" a symlink, I think that
this is worth some better documentation. I would suggest:

# If you don't like this, umount /.dev/ and remove the empty directory.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich