Re: rudeness in general

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 20:38 +0100, Miros/law Baran wrote:
> 10.01.2005 pisze Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net):
>
> > > 'RTFM' means "Go read the documentation, that's what it's for". I
> > > personally find it far more rude to go on a mailing list, ask for the
>
> > Do you *really* think that RTFM means "Go read the documentation,
> > that's what it's for"?
>
> If one has the skin not thick enough to read the proper meaning from
> RTFM, one should not use mailing lists and should concentrate on dead
> tree repositories. Being oversensitive in public is usually
> counterproductive.

I was looking for a spot to post this link because I've been there
before, and this reply is as apropos as it gets.

As long as new people are allowed to use operating systems that
have man pages this issue will come up. It's not that we didn't/don't
have thick skins, it's because _we did not yet know_ that there are two
ways to read the F: one obvious, one learned; one dismissive, one
informative - and, unless the context is obvious, that 'fine' is
assumed :)

So, and back to the subject at hand, there are also two ways to share
information: Craig's, and yours. Guess which is worth the storage bits,
and remember: one day your kids will search for your mail on the net.

(Sorry about the long link, but it summarizes my point best)

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/linux.debian.devel/browse_frm/thread/49ad0896f43894e4/2a1406cefa976f8a?q=ingram+debian+kpkg&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3Dingram+debian+kpkg%26qt_s%3DSearch+Groups%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#2a1406cefa976f8a

Here's the whole thread, for completeness.