Re: If *-module depends on *-utils, should *-source recommend it?

Once upon a time Steve Langasek said...

> There is nothing in the -source package that actually requires (or should
> recommend) the -utils package.  A much better fix here is for people to get
> over the fact that dpkg isn't apt.

Apologies for continuing this but having read through the thread I still
dont think I understand the issue with dpkg in this situation.

Is the following scenario the issue here with dpkg? :

foo-modules_1.0 is installed. It is standalone and does not require any
other packages to be installed.

foo-modules_2.0 is built from foo-source.

foo-modules_2.0 depends on foo-utils.

User runs "dpkg -i foo-modules_2.0_arch.deb"

dpkg first removes foo-modules_1.0
dpkg then check dependencies of foo-modules_2.0
dpkg complains that foo-utils is not installed and aborts the
installation of foo-modules_2.0

foo-modules is now in a broken state unable to be used.

Networking depends on foo-modules so it is not possible to install
foo-utils unless it is locally available.

Is this the scenario being argued over? If so, why does dpkg not first
check the dependencies of foo-modules_2.0 before removing
foo-modules_1.0? If not, could someone explain to me (or point me to a
resource) what the issue is?

Thanks