Re: If *-module depends on *-utils, should *-source recommend it?

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:15:26AM +1100, Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> Is this the scenario being argued over?
Yes, that was exactly what I had in mind

>If so, why does dpkg not first
> check the dependencies of foo-modules_2.0 before removing
> foo-modules_1.0?

"Because it's a low-level tool intended for experts"

I suppose an expert may want to fulfill the dependency using a
non-Debian install of the utilities and they want dpkg to allow this
by default.  In apt you have to -force this; in dpkg you don't.

I guess it's to keep dpkg simple.