Re: [volatile] status update

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 09:07:50PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Brian Nelson (pyro@debian.org) [041223 18:40]:
> > On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 05:05:28PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > > there has been some silent work on the volatile archive. Now, the
> > > archive is ready to have some packages uploaded.
>
> > Maybe I'm a little late, but I have some concerns with the name.
> > [...]
>
> > Does anyone really want software on their system that meets any of those
> > definitions?  It's even scarier sounding than "unstable" or
> > "experimental"...
>
> well, besides the fact that some software (like notably virus scanner)
> _is_ volatile:

In what way?  I don't think any software in Debian fits that definition
at all.

> If you have a better name, it's always possible to pick
> it up. Until than, I'll stick to volatile.

"Transient"?  It's not perfect, but I think it's an improvement...

>From WordNet (r) 2.0 (August 2003) [wn]:

  transient
      adj 1: of a mental act; causing effects outside the mind [syn:
             {transeunt}] [ant: {immanent}]
      2: enduring a very short time; "the ephemeral joys of
         childhood"; "a passing fancy"; "youth's transient beauty";
         "love is transitory but at is eternal"; "fugacious
         blossoms" [syn: {ephemeral}, {passing}, {short-lived},
         {transitory}, {fugacious}]
      n 1: one who stays for only a short time; "transient laborers"
      2: (physics) a short-lived oscillation in a system caused by a
         sudden change of voltage or current or load

>From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (19 Sep 2003) [foldoc]:

  transient

     1. <electronics> A sudden, brief increase in {current} or
     {voltage} in a circuit that can damage sensitive components
     and instruments.

     (2003-06-12)

     2. <software> A software object with a short and limited
     lifetime which is not saved for later reuse.

     (1998-04-19)

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!