Re: Filing bugs with upstream

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 10:31:26AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Kenneth Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I agree that this is a good practice.  Unfortunately, you can't
> > necessarily count on the Debian maintainer (even a good maintainer) to
> > deal with the bug on your behalf.  I always handle upstream bugs on
> > behalf of my customers for my packages, but as a project we seem to have
> > some internal disagreements on this subject and no solid policy besides.
>
> If a maintainer is not willing to be a maintainer, well, then, that's
> a problem.

It's not as simple as saying that these people are "not willing to be a
maintainer".  In my case, these were otherwise quite responsible
maintainers who just didn't feel it was their responsibility to deal
with upstream bugs.  So, like I said, we have some internal
disagreements on this subject, and we don't have a solid policy that
says what we're supposed to do with upstream bugs.

> If you want to file *both*, that's fine, but *still* file a Debian bug
> for a Debian package.  And make sure *both* bug reports contain
> pointers to the other report, so that everyone can easily find all the
> information.

Yes, this is good advice under all circumstances.

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>