Re: boot: network configured before PCMCIA loaded

Hello.

Thomas Hood:

> Given that PCMCIA cards can be inserted any time, it doesn't matter
> how early cardmgr is started in the boot sequence -- you still need
> to arrange for configuration of the network card to be triggered after
> insertion (and thus well after /etc/rcS.d/S40networking has run).
> Unless, of course, your PCMCIA cards are welded into your computer.
> Another problem is that cardmgr is started asynchronously, so starting
> it prior to /etc/rcS.d/S40networking doesn't ensure that the drivers
> it loads are ready when the latter runs.  In my opinion there is no
> point in starting cardmgr any earlier.

Ok, you've convinced me.

I was kind-of looking from my specific personal point of view - if I
start my laptop with the card in the slot, then I'd like to have the
eth1 brought up and get the IP from DHCP, but if I'm inserting the card
when the laptop is running, then it most probably means I use cable
(eth0 with a non-DHCP IP) at the moment and want to do everything
by hand - certainly *without* eth1 being brought up automagically.

I hope I can somehow distinguish these two situations
with hotplug, though I don't have a clue how to, yet. :o)

Cheers,
-- Shot
--
        I detest life-insurance agents; they always argue that I shall
        some day die, which is not so.              -- Stephen Leacock