Re: installing udev without rebooting

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:18:01 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> Currently, after installing udev a reboot is needed to let the init script
> safely mount the tmpfs over /dev. This sucks, and I'm asking for
> suggestions about what I need to do to make reboot-less installation
> possible.
>
> So far, I know that I need to:
> - mount --move /dev/pts and /dev/shm somewhere else - mount the tmpfs
> - move back --move /dev/pts and /dev/shm - run udevstart
> - restart gpm (for the /dev/gpmdata pipe) and syslogd (for the /dev/log
>   socket)
>
> Should I just ignore races?

How about:

D=(tempfile)
rm $D && mkdir $D
mount --bind /dev $D

At this point, you should be able to mount tmpfs over /dev, and still
access the old contents of /dev from the $D directory.  `find $D -type s`
should give you a list of all sockets that should be moved (I can't think
of any cases where something would create a socket in /dev that shouldn't
be moved over).

Bind mounts are available as of 2.4.