Re: boot: network configured before PCMCIA loaded

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:20:10 +0100, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:
> Do you think I should switch to dnsmasq or pdnsd instead, because BIND
> is an overkill for a caching nameserver (or because of something else)?

Yes, either dnsmasq or pdnsd would be better suited to your needs.

> I posted to debian-devel because I was wondering whether simply moving
> network initialisation past the initial PCMCIA card loading wouldn't be
> a sane thing to do anyway.

Network initialization happens at /etc/rcS.d/S40networking and this won't
change any time soon.  See /etc/rcS.d/README.  The only option would be to
start cardmgr earlier.

Given that PCMCIA cards can be inserted any time, it doesn't matter how
early cardmgr is started in the boot sequence -- you still need to arrange
for configuration of the network card to be triggered after insertion (and
thus well after /etc/rcS.d/S40networking has run).  Unless, of course,
your PCMCIA cards are welded into your computer.  Another problem is that
cardmgr is started asynchronously, so starting it prior to
/etc/rcS.d/S40networking doesn't ensure that the drivers it loads are
ready when the latter runs.  In my opinion there is no point in starting
cardmgr any earlier.

--
Thomas Hood