Re: Linux Core Consortium

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:44:50 -0800, Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com> said:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> I am not sure I am convinced that the benefits are worth
>> outsourcing the core of our product -- and I think that most
>> business shall tell you that is a bad idea.
>>
> Well, please don't tell this to all of the people who we are
> attempting to get to use Linux as the core of their products.

> Also, please make sure to tell the upstream maintainers that we
> aren't going to use their code any longer, because we have decided
> that it's a bad idea to outsource the core of our product.

	Hmm. I am not sure how to take this: either you are spoiling
 for a fight, or you do not take your duties as a developer very
 seriously. For the nonce, though, I'll treat this email seriously.

	When I package software from upstream, I have skimmed the
 sources, ensured that the resulting .deb meets Debian policy, which
 may require major changes to upstream's layout, and I listen to my
 users, adding features, removing lacunae, and generally being more
 than a mechanical packager of software.

	I am not just swilling pap sight unseen into Debian's
 repository, and my work is what makes it different from outsourcing
 the package upstream.

	If you say that we can do the same to any LCC package, I have
 no objections; we can surely treat LCC as an upstream contributor,
 and massage their changes into debian packages like we have always
 done.

	manoj
--
"Good people are good because they've come to wisdom through failure."
-William Saroyan