Re: Linux Core Consortium

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 04:04:22PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> It seems to me than one of the main value of Debian is in the quality of
> its core distribution.  One of the reason of the quality is that it
> is not developed for itself but as a platform for the 10^4+ packages
> and the 10+ architectures in Debian. For example the compiler must be
> Given that, an attempt to develop the core distribution as a separate
> entity is going to be impractical and to reduce its quality.

Why? In fact you are proving your own argument wrong. If a seperate core
distribution is developed as a core of more, let alone all, Linux
distributions including Debian, the amount of packages using it as
platform will certainly increase.

> On the other hand, nothing bars the LCC to build a distribution on top of
> Debian. There is a lot of precedent for doing so (Xandros,libranet,
> lycoris, linspire, mepis, etc.).

This is one argument why I'd say, we surely should work with LCC.

> As a practical matter, what if the Debian gcc team decide to release
> etch with gcc 3.3 because 3.4 break ABI on some platforms and gcc-4.x is
> not stable enough on all the platforms ? Will LCC follow ? If not, how
> are we going to share binary package if we do not use the same compiler?

Another reason why we should work together as the problem will arise
with the other dists anyway.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes