Re: Linux Core Consortium

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:51:21 +0100, Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org> said:

> On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 04:04:22PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
>> It seems to me than one of the main value of Debian is in the
>> quality of its core distribution.  One of the reason of the quality
>> is that it is not developed for itself but as a platform for the
>> 10^4+ packages and the 10+ architectures in Debian. For example the
>> compiler must be ...  Given that, an attempt to develop the core
>> distribution as a separate entity is going to be impractical and to
>> reduce its quality.

> Why? In fact you are proving your own argument wrong. If a seperate
> core distribution is developed as a core of more, let alone all,
> Linux distributions including Debian, the amount of packages using
> it as platform will certainly increase.

	Only if this separate entity also is committed to all 11
 architectures. And follows a consistent technical policy. Ans is
 supported by a QA team, security team, and potentially 1000
 experienced developers to pick up slack.

	I am not sure I am convinced that the benefits are worth
 outsourcing the core of our product -- and I think that most business
 shall tell you that is a bad idea.

>> As a practical matter, what if the Debian gcc team decide to
>> release etch with gcc 3.3 because 3.4 break ABI on some platforms
>> and gcc-4.x is not stable enough on all the platforms ? Will LCC
>> follow ? If not, how are we going to share binary package if we do
>> not use the same compiler?

> Another reason why we should work together as the problem will arise
> with the other dists anyway.

	I think that very often Debian's technical solution have been
 better than the other distributions, since there is a tendency to do
 the right thing in Debian, as opposed to meeting marketing deadlines.

	manoj
--
The time is right to make new friends.