Re: dselect survey

Op wo, 15-12-2004 te 05:57 -0600, schreef Marcelo E. Magallon:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 10:20:09AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
>
>  > >  The other problem with aptitude is touted as a design feature: it
>  > >  tends to be all-or-nothing.  Either you use it always or you don't
>  > >  (automatic removal thingie).  This becomes a problem when multiple
>  > >  persons use different interfaces for adding and removing packages
>  > >  to the system.
>  >
>  > You exaggerate.
>
>  I do not.  I've seen aptitude remove "unwanted" packages more than a
>  couple of times because of this.
>
>  It's a cool feature, yes.  It's also a design bug.

ACK. I very much prefer the way debfoster handles this: if there are
new, unknown packages on the system, it will ask, rather than assume,
whether a package is wanted or not. And will only do this for packages
that are not depended upon; so if you ever remove a package, it will ask
about its dependencies again.

This is far better than a program which tries to figure it all out
itself.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks