Re: LCC and blobs

hoi :)

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 01:45:01PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > And why it should be different if that firmware is distributed by the
> > manufacturer on a CD instead of a flash EPROM chip?
>
> Because in that case the manufacturer is hurting the user by not
> providing source, and we are against that.

What would you gain by having the firmware source.
Please don't tell me that you want to fix bugs there.

The firmware is part of the hardware and we don't ask the vendors to
give away their .vhdl files of the hardware.  Both firmware and hardware
source are useless as they usually need highly proprietary tools to
build.

We should however try to convince hardware vendors to allow distribution
of their firmware.  Asking for full source is not helping anybody and
will just scare away the vendors.

--
Martin Waitz