Re: LCC and blobs

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 03:07:56PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:
> > As far as I'm concerned, distribution of the firmware is the
> > manufacturer's realm.  Whether the manufacturer distributes it on an
> > EPROM on the device itself, or on a CD shipped with the device, or just
> > provides it for download from a website, I don't care.  That's their
> > decision.  Debian should not care one bit how the firmware is loaded on
> > the device, and the method used should not dictate whether a driver is
> > DFSG-compliant.
>
> It doesn't. What matters is if the firmware itself is distributable at
> all and if it is DFSG-compliant.

You aren't reading what I've written.  Virtually 100% of firmware
out there (included on the device or loaded externally) is non-free.  By
your reasoning, the entire kernel should be moved to contrib since no
free hardware exists on which it can run.

I'm not going to discuss this with you if you insist on spewing out
typical debian-legal bullshit without actually thinking first.

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!