Re: LCC and blobs

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> On Dec 12, Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>
>> > And why it should be different if that firmware is distributed by the
>> > manufacturer on a CD instead of a flash EPROM chip?
>> Because the user has to actively do something and taint his filesystem
>> with the non-free files from the CD.
> And why this whould be worse than having other parts of his computer
> "tainted"?

Because other parts don't restrict what I can do with the free parts.

I can't copy the hardware anyway, so what do I care that the flash on
it is non-free? Mots of the time I can't even read the flash and make
illegal copies.

Having the firmware in the FS means one more part of my computer is
non-free.

>> If the system boots off the CD, loads the firmware and only then loads
>> the linux kernel then it would be different.
> How?

That is your problem. :) I could imagine a bootloader that contains
the firmware loading interface from linux or a rewrite of that.

> --
> ciao, |
> Marco | [9732 alA1GOpGQcP/.]

MfG