Re: LCC and blobs

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> On Dec 11, Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>
>> Your case of hardware wich already includes firmware is totaly
>> irelevant since Debian does not distributes hardware, does not even
>> stand for free hardware nor do debs have to depend on hardware.
> And why it should be different if that firmware is distributed by the
> manufacturer on a CD instead of a flash EPROM chip?
>
> --
> ciao, |
> Marco | [9711 deqGE2zroRuAE]

Because the user has to actively do something and taint his filesystem
with the non-free files from the CD.

If the system boots off the CD, loads the firmware and only then loads
the linux kernel then it would be different.

As a rule of thumb ask yourself: Can I take out the harddisk and
sell it including contents?

With non-free firmware copied from a CD you can't. You have to remove
the firmware first.

My 2c,
        Goswin