Re: LCC and blobs

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> wrote:

> Because if it were stored on the device itself, and always packaged
> with the device, then there *still* wouldn't be a dependency, because
> all owners of the hardware would already have the firmware.

In most cases, the owner of the device will already have the firmware.
If the package had code to copy the firmware off the manufacturer's
shipped CD, would you be happy for the driver to then be in main?

> Think of it this way.  For the card with the built-in firmware, the
> driver does not depend on any additional packages or software
> distribution to work.  By contrast, for the card with the separate
> firmware, the driver *does* depend on that additional package to work.

The dependency still exists - it just isn't expressed within the terms
of our package management system. I am entirely happy to describe this
distinction as arbitrary.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org