Re: LCC and blobs

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 11:50:44AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:
>
> > It's a completely inconsistent and arbitrary policy.
>
> It's hardly that.  We distribute only free software, that's our rule.
> The rest, as you say, is for the manufacturer and the user to work
> out, but we disvalue non-free software, and so we don't distribute it
> in main.  (And packages which require it go into contrib.)

The device drivers in question *are* 100% free software!

You say they should go into contrib because they depend on non-free
software.  However, *all* device drivers depend on non-free software.
Why does it matter if that non-free stuff is stored on the device itself
or is loaded externally?

> You only see it as inconsistent because you think the relevant
> consideration is "do we support this hardware", and you don't care how
> we support it.

I didn't say that.  I'm saying we should distribute all free device
drivers in main because they are free.  Binary blobs are a non-issue.

> Most of us *do* care; we support it provided we can do
> so without distributing non-free software, because Debian is 100% Free
> Software.  Things we cannot support with free software we do not
> support.  This is not an inconsistent policy; this is the core of what
> Debian stands for.

All hardware depends on non-free software.  If you want to lobby for all
hardware to be free, including the firmware/BIOS/whatever, then fine.
That's a noble war to wage and I'd support your efforts.

However, requiring a policy like this at this time is completely insane
because no hardware exists that meets this requirement.

> To say it is arbitrary is worse, because that insults the motives of
> the people who disagree with you.

Your motives baffle me, and I can't say I feel any shame in insulting
them.

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!