Re: Linux Core Consortium

Bruce,

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 04:49:13PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Henrique answered your question. There has been some divergence between
> various distributions regarding the naming and especially the versioning
> of these libraries. We would heal that fork to increase compatibility.
> Doing that means that some names and version tags are going to change
> for some people. Of course we want to see everyone involved bearing some
> of that load, rather than Debian bearing the lion's share of it.

Requiring us to ship/link against a particular soversion of a library is one
thing; Debian copes with changes to upstream soversions on a regular basis.
Changing library *names*, OTOH, is something quite different -- and in the
first case, providing "compatibility with the old names" totally defeats the
purpose of *having* sonames, whereas in the second case, it still sounds
like gratuitous change to me.

I'm skeptical to begin with of the benefits LCC has to offer Debian -- being
bound not just to an external *standard*, but to an external
*implementation* requires sacrificing autonomy in areas that have been
historically important to Debian, such as timely security fixes and
arch-specific fixes for architectures not covered by the LCC -- and the
wording from your original message set off a very large red flag for me
besides.  Can you provide pointers to concrete LCC proposals of library
renames, so that I can get comfortable with the technical specifics of
what's really at issue here?

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek