Re: Linux Core Consortium

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 17:41 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 04:49:13PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
[snip]

> I'm skeptical to begin with of the benefits LCC has to offer Debian -- being
> bound not just to an external *standard*, but to an external
> *implementation* requires sacrificing autonomy in areas that have been
> historically important to Debian, such as timely security fixes and
> arch-specific fixes for architectures not covered by the LCC -- and the
> wording from your original message set off a very large red flag for me
> besides.  Can you provide pointers to concrete LCC proposals of library
> renames, so that I can get comfortable with the technical specifics of
> what's really at issue here?

You are way overreacting.

Reread this, the last paragraph of BP's OP, a few times.
  "I would not suggest that Debian commit to using LCC packages
  at this time. We should participate for a while and see how many
  changes we'd have to make and whether the project works for us.
  But I think we should be at the table and in a position to in-
  fluence the project. The other members are willing to have us
  on those terms."

Note the part about "I would not suggest that Debian commit to
using LCC packages at this time."  If Debian decides that it would
not be in Debian's best interest to follow the LCC implementation,
then guess what: it doesn't have to...

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"What other evidence do you have that they are terrorists, other
than that they trained in these camps?"
17-Sep-2002 Katie Couric to an FBI agent regarding the 5 men
arrested near Buffalo NY