Re: New method for Packages/Sources file updates

In article <[🔎] 87k6s360uq.fsf@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> you write:
>Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
>
>> Goswin writes:
>>>
>>>OT: [2] mentions 'Final sarge edition of debian-cd uploaded'. Did that
>>>include amd64 support?
>>
>> No, note yet I'm afraid. I do have a version of debian-cd with patches
>> for amd64, but it's not yet ready to go into sarge IMHO. The different
>> archive layout for amd64 on alioth means quite a few changes. I'll
>> start putting patches into debian-cd CVS soon...
>
>Two things:
>
>1. What does the archive layout intrest you? You should be using the
>dir/file and filenames fields in the Sources/Packages file. If you
>need I can give you a simple shell script that extracts them quite
>efficiently.

You'd hope that, yes. Almost all the code in debian-cd copes just
fine, but there are a couple of changes I've had to make for
amd64. Reviewing the diff:

 * the generated docs and task lists don't list amd64 yet
 * tools/scanpackages needs to be educated about pool/unstable/$SECT
   in addition to pool/$SECT
 * added bootable support for amd64 (moving things into place on CD1)

(OK, so my memory is playing tricks - the only layout-specific change
is in tools/scanpackages...)

>2. The archive structure is changing to match the debian layout
>completly and not just its syntax. I'm currently evaluating mirrorer
>(alioth project) to drive the new structure as a replacement for the
>exitsing one and it looks very promising.

Cool.

>So if you plan to hardcode a changed layout into debian-cd for amd64
>you should stop and wait maybe another week. If you plan to make it
>more flexible to cover arbitrary structures then by all means keep
>going. We can keep the existing archive around for you for a while if
>you need a testcase. Let me know.
>
>(http://debian-amd64.alioth.org/archive-structure.txt for details)

Or http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/archive-structure.txt even... :-)

"I can't ever sleep on planes ... call it irrational if you like, but I'm
 afraid I'll miss my stop" -- Vivek Dasmohapatra