Re: mozilla-firefox-locale package with all language translations

El Miércoles 17 Noviembre 2004 07:10, Christian Perrier escribió:
> Quoting Cesar Martinez Izquierdo (listas@ono.com):
> > I've just uploaded a new version (1.0-3) that generates separate binary
> > packages for each language.
>
> This is great news. Thus you mean that in the future, as soon as a
> language is added upstream, we will get a new Debian binary package
> for Firefox localization?

Yes, it means that. (But we lack a way to know if new languages are
available).

Now I need one sponsor to get this package into Debian (as I'm not DD), and
also to know which of the current mozilla-firefox-locale-xx packages are
interested in change to this new aproach.

> I now just need telling them that it may automagically appear as soon
> as they get their ar localisation upstream.

Yes. Or they can directly send the XPI to me when it's ready.

> I think this could be a good addition to tasksel language
> tasks....however, this would need firefox to be added to the desktop
> task in tasksel...post-sarge, definitely..
>
> As a man daily working as "desktop architecture designer", I would say
> that Firefox is about to become the obvious browser choice for a
> Linux-based workstation (it as been chosen by the french Ministry of
> Equipment Roads and Transportation as default browser for their 13000
> Linux based workstations). So installing it by default in our
> "desktop" task would be an important enhancement.
>
> > The remaining issues are:
> > - some of the binary packages will need specific "Conflicts:",
> > "Provides:" or "Replaces:" lines that the script can't figure out
> > automatically. Solution: We can add them by hand.
> >
> > - the description of the package should contain the name of the language
> > it provides, not only the name of the locale (eg: es-AR). Any ideas? (I
> > guess I will need a list of locales+language names; /etc/locale.alias
> > seems to be good but not complete).
>
> I have seen these different es localisation packages and was a bit
> puzzled by them. I have understood that Spanish and more specifically
> technical Spanish is spoken differently on both sides of the Atlantic
> Ocean but I really think that two separate packages/localisations is
> really a waste of time. Moreover, a es_AR package will handle
> Spanish/Argentina well, but what about other South American
> spanish-speaking countries ?
>
> I suppose that this is also an upstream problem : if upstream ships
> different Spanish localisation packages, of course we in Debian have
> no choice but shipping them, but imho, this is not a really good idea.
>
> Anyway, if what I suggest above is added to tasksel, we will anyway
> install the "es" package for all "es" locales....Or we will need to
> change tasksel so that it has a concept of locale tasks rather than
> language tasks.
>
> The addtionnal work and maintenance complication is maybe not worth it
> just because people do not agree whether one should say "computador"
> or "ordenador" or whatever else..
>
> Bringing back my Arabic localization example : the ar localization
> guys never ever imagined creating special ar_* packages for the
> different flavours of Arabic and you all know that spoken Arabic is
> way different in the various Arabic-speaking countries. Far more
> different than Castillan and Argentinan Spanish are.
>
> /me crosses fingers for never seeing fr_CA (tabarnak) or fr_BE (une
> fois) or fr_FR(mon Dieu) packages.....

I agree with you about these es_ES and es_AR translations, it has not too much
sense (as both of them are correct spanish and totally understable to each
other). In fact, I'm from Spain and I've tried both ES and AR translations
and I don't find such important differences, they are pretty similar.
Anyway, for the moment upstream is only shiping "es_AR" translation, the
"es_ES" one is only in nightly builds.
Maybe I will contact both translation teams and suggest to join efforts, but I
don't hope to be too succesul...

  César