Re: Debian menu and GNOME (request for help)

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 09:44:34AM +0100, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > 3) Eventually, GNOME will switch to xdg-menu but probably not the
> > version in sarge.
>
> Right, the switch will be for 2.10.
>

> > 4) It is rumoured that some distros apply a patch top GNOME panel
> > to make it support xdg-menu, but Debian don't.
>
> Right too.

Any chance this patch to be applied ?

> > So I look for help from someone with good knowledge of GNOME internal
> > and patience with the Debian menu system to solve issue 2) and maybe
> > issue 1).
>
> The Debian menu is only a submenu in GNOME and I'm not sure this is
> worth spending time and efforts for something that's redesigned upstream
> right now. Perhaps we should let it in this state for Sarge and work on
> a menu improvement for sarge+1 with GNOME 2.10 ?

This work (XDG menu support) is already done. For GNOME 2.10 it is just
a matter of removing one conffile and adding a Depends.

On the other hand, we should strive for the highest quality for our next
stable release and working support for user (Debian) menu is quite a
popular wishlist. For example, I received bug #280081 last week.

I have already written a menu-method that produce a suitable
vfolder-info menu. What need to be done is to integrate it with
gnome-panel. If no change to gnome-panel menu code is performed,
the question is whether the file
/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users.vfolder-info
can be 'diverted'. If users are unlikely to modify this file,
this is an option, albeit ugly.

I would note that I posted here only after failing to gather much support on
debian-gtk-gnome.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>