Debian menu and GNOME (request for help)

Hello Debian folk,

As you might have discovered, the Debian menu support and in particular
i18n has been greatly improved for most of the window-managers in Debian
with the exception of GNOME.

Here a summary of my attempts to get current GNOME and Debian menu to
get along more nicely that they do now:

Some of the issues:

1) Current gnome-panel do *not* support XDG menus (only KDE does).
(Debian menu has XDG menu support through menu-xdg.)

2) Instead it support vfolder-info (which is similar to XDG menu in
design but completly different in format) and a 'distro' menu which
is crippled.

3) Eventually, GNOME will switch to xdg-menu but probably not the
version in sarge.

4) It is rumoured that some distros apply a patch top GNOME panel
to make it support xdg-menu, but Debian don't.

5) Currently the gnome-panel menu-method use the 'distro' menu
which has a lot of drawback: poor i18n support, no support for
user menu, cannot be easily removed by the user/sysadmin, etc.

So I made a gnome-panel that generate a vfolder-info file,
however I get stuck with the following issues:

1) vfolder-info format does not support an include statement.
(i.e. we cannot generate the Debian menu layout in a separate file
and have it read automatically). Debian menu provides a way around
that (using templates files) but it is really ugly. (Debian menu
will need to regenerate
/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users.vfolder-info
from a template each time.)

2) I didn't manage to have it work for user menu (which was the main
wishlist).

So I look for help from someone with good knowledge of GNOME internal
and patience with the Debian menu system to solve issue 2) and maybe
issue 1).

Thanks in advance,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>