Re: Subversion / swig1.3

On 10/26/04 16:35:35, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 01:39:15PM +0200, Philipp Hug wrote:
> subversion depends on swig >= 1.3.22-2 which is in unstable. but it's
not
> in testing yet because swig cannot be put into testing because it would
> break subversion 1.0.6-2 ;-)
> did I miss something or is this just a bug in the testing script and
needs
> manual hinting?

Yes, it needs manual hinting and we're aware of this. But it needs to
wait for libhid anyway (two days), so there is no hurry to install the
necessary hint.

I am a swig developer lurking on this list. Building the SWIG runtime library (which is what causes subversion to depend on SWIG) has been depreciated since 1.3.20, which was released almost a year ago. About a week ago, I removed the ability to build the runtime libraries in SWIG CVS, and so in the next version (1.3.23) you will not be able to build them at all. We are planning for a release in a week or two.

I am not sure how this will impact debian, but I would seriously encourage you to build the python swig wrappers and every other package that depends on libswigruntime so they don't require the runtime library, and then remove that library. The runtime library leads to several bugs and problems, and if those get reported after sarge is released... I am actually surprised to learn people are still using runtime libraries. You can completly remove libswig*.so and not lose any functionality, and avoid a whole bunch of potential bugs.

John