Re: Security updates for sarge?

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 05:10:26AM +0200, Sven Mueller wrote:

> >>Because they have set up and maintain the buildd network.
> >Yes, nice, well done, thank them for their initial work, but it seems as if
> >it's up for others now to take over that job, because they obviously
> >failing continuously doing it now.
> I must admit I thought something similar:
> Why the hell are there only two people who know how to do it, when two
> people doesn't seem to be enough?

Oh, there are more people experienced enough to do that work - but those two
won't let them do it.

> It might be better if they postponed
> further work on the buildd network and used that time to introduce
> others to the job.

Other people disagree here with you (f.e. Manoj). They think, it would harm
to take the time to introduce other people to the work needed done.

I do agree with you: it is the best when other people are introduced to the
work by the experienced ones. It shortens the time until the new ones can
work productively together with the old ones significantly. F.e. Martin
Loschwitz was introduced within days in running/admining a buildd.
It's way more complicated to setup a buildd without any help, because it's
not well documented. By reason, I guess. Having more people sharing the
knowledge of the mysterious buildd network threatens the power of the two
who are in charge now.
But I'm sure it won't help them in the long run - but it harms the project
in the meanwhile.

> In the end, this might very well speed up the whole
> process. At least, it gets some more redundancy (what happens if one of
> them gets ill while the other is on a prolonged journey?).

Stagnation.

> Two people who can do the job certainly isn't nearly enough for such
> important jobs in a project as big as Debian. I would think it should be
> at least 5-6 people.

I'm argueing this for about a year now - nothing happened so far. Instead,
it got worse and worse...

> Similar things could be said about ftpmasters. New packages are supposed
> to be added to unstable within at most one week, but I'm waiting for ten
> days now. (Yeah, I know, still not _that_ long.) I'm not complaining,
> just wondering.
> Heck, If I were a DD, I would be glad to help whereever needed.

Even being a DD wouldn't help much. There are already DDs trying to solve
those problems, but aren't very successful. The two people are in positions
where they can block nearly anything to death.
Isn't that great!?

> The most
> pressing bits seem to be (from my POV):
> 1) buildd network (especially because of sarge/security)
> 2) ftpmaster (seems to be overwhelmed in work for months now)
> 3) new-maintainer process (though it seems to have sped up considerably
>    during the last year)
> 4) security team (though I'm not sure how bad the situation is)

Oh well, do some research and find out who's in charge for many of these 4
key problems. You'll find quite the same names mostly.... (security differs
the most from the others, I think)

> So, if my help is wanted with one of the first three of those, I will
> gladly file a NM application immediately.

It's sad, but I don't think your application will proceed fast... it will
get stuck waiting for DAM approval for months.

Am I the only who's curious about Debians independence with all those paid
Ubuntu DDs in key positions of Debian?

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/