Re: Reproducible, precompiled .o files: what say policy+gpl?

Wesley W. Terpstra dijo [Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 09:59:36PM +0200]:
> This slight difference in wording sounds to me like I would indeed be able
> to include prebuilt object files, so long as the package could be built
> without them. Is that correct?
>
> The actual text in policy is:
> * must not require a package outside of main for compilation or execution
> (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends", "Recommends", or
> "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main package)
>
> This wording appears to back up what you say (John).
> The clause 'must not require' is fine with my case. Since the source files
> can be rebuilt with gcc, icc is not required. Execution is a non-issue.
>
> At this point my question is only academic; the pure-gcc in main,
> icc-prebuilt in contrib solution seems to solve my concerns just as well.

I have only one concern with this: What happens if you drop the
package and someone else takes it? He will no longer be able to
compile it with icc, and the icc-prebuilt users will be left out in
the cold. What would you say to that?

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5554-9450