Re: Ubuntu discussion at planet.debian.org

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 06:36:26 +0200, Jérôme Marant <jmarant@nerim.net> said:

> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:
>>>
>>> What do you think we'd get by combining both (testing + unstable
>>> freeze)?
>>
>> My guess is that the release team would go insane having to approve
>> every upload to unstable.

> I don't think so. Dinstall would reject any new upstream release.
> Approvals would only apply to t-p-u just like it is done currently.

        Umm. So no new debian native packages? Even though those are
 the ones we can best control? Also, this is a half-hearted
 solution. There is often a poor correlation between bugs and new
 upstream releases (in other words, I have screwed up packages in the
 past with my debian revision uploads far worse than any new upstream
 version).

        I still think you should look into testing-frozen and
 candidate distributions, locking down testing-frozen, and working
 towards improving candidate -- and that way, it is less intrusive,
 we'll  not have to scrap the current mechanism, and we can compare
 both methods all at the same time.

        But that involves getting down, rolling up your sleeves, and
 doing _work_ -- rather than convincing other people to do it your
 way. The former is more likely to succeed.

        manoj
--
Do students of Zen Buddhism do Om-work?