Re: Common set of debconf templates

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 08:38:58AM -0400, sean finney wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 11:51:00AM +0200, Brian Sutherland wrote:
> > The package includes the template-package's templates at build
> > (debhelper style as suggested before).
> >
> > Then up to date translations can be ensured by installing a
> > debconf-translation-templates meta package or templates package before
> > the package.
>
> if the templates are included at build-time by a debhelper-style script,
> there's no need for a runtime dependency for these templates.

How do you then solve the problem of the translations and such becoming
out of date?

(Maybe it is not such a problem if the package is rebuilt frequently,
but the translation changes infrequently)

> > (Pre-depends / Recommends / Installer business??)
>
> i think Pre-depends should be avoided at any possible cost.  this
> unfortunately means that the REGISTER suggestion won't reliably work,
> which is really too bad because that would have been the most graceful
> solution.

What do you do instead of REGISTER if each package wants to have it's
own question? Change the directories of the questions when copying?

> over the past week i've been in contact with joeyh about the
> feasability of doing this with a debhelper-style script, and think
> i have the workings of a primitive version hashed out with him.

Thanks, Great!! let me know if you need somebody to test it. (or even
help)

--
Brian Sutherland