bug #275527 (was: proposal: 'xterm' alternatives entry)

also sprach Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> [2004.10.10.2101 +0200]:
> That bug was closed because it was _already fixed_ and the
> submitter didn't check before filing it.

I am sorry, Matt, but it was not fixed. You should have tagged the
bug wontfix and leave it open.

also sprach Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> [2004.10.10.2102 +0200]:
> I explained this to you on IRC already.  If using kernel-package,
> the Debianization patches in user-mode-linux should be packaged as
> a kernel patch, which would be used with make-kpkg.

What, and then require to always add two patches because UML by
itself produces buggy packages?

No, this is not a solution if you ask me. You are packaging a kernel
patch that has 'xterm' hardcoded in it. Debian's alternatives system
exists specifically to address this problem. So please, use it.

I do not see a single point why the UML kernel patch should be as
pristine as possible. This is a minor modification required to
properly integrate with Debian.

`. `'`