Re: Multiple source packages from one upstream source

Shaun Jackman wrote:
> > Depending on source packages isn't supported.
>
> The file binutils_2.15.orig.tar.gz is already in the archive. Rather
> than uploading a duplicate copy with another name, I'd like to use the
> same file. In this case it's a peer relationship not a dependency
> relationship. Both packages use binutils_2.15.orig.tar.gz, but neither
> one is necessarily the owner of the file, so long as they both use the
> same unmodified tarball from upstream.

I see what you want to achieve, but the current archive handling
assumes single ownership for each file.

> I compare this to hard-links. Once a hard-link is created, it's
> impossible to tell which link is the original. They are peers, unlike
> symlinks.
>
> > You may want to have a look at the toolchain-source package.
>
> I have contributed to toolchain-source in the past for arm-elf, but
> pocketpc is a unique target that has its own set of problems.
> Packaging it on its own seemed like a better solution.

You can build-depend on toolchain-source and customize it for pocketpc.
Btw, the kernel source is handled in a similiar way, by providing a
source .deb for build-dependencies.

Thiemo