Re: Updated: XDM, GDM, KDM, WDM shootout :-)

Hi Karsten,

As for locale choice ....

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 04:05:12AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 09:55:08PM +0200, Osamu Aoki (osamu@debian.org) wrote:
> > Update reflecting people's comments:
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 01:11:32AM +0200, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> >
> > The result of comparison is (+ is yes, - is no):
> >
> >        1) Use of     2) Choice 3) Choice    4) Non ~/.xsession  5) User
> >           Xsession.d    of WM     of locale    custom           List
> >                                   by user      startup script
> >   XDM     ++            --        --           -                -
> >   GDM     +             +         ++           only gnome       ++
> >   KDM     ++            +         +(restart)   -                ++
> >   WDM     ++            +-        --           -                -
> >
> > (KDM listing is anticipated situation for next unstable version.)
>
> Glad to see you added the user list.
>
> My own preference is WDM:  clean, offers XDMCP if necessary, and I run
> WindowMaker anyway.
>
> For a lab in which I support ten WinXP laptops with XDMCP logins (via
> Cygwin), I switched to KDM.  Why?
>
>   - Both username and password visible on the login screen.  I know it
>     sounds dumb if you've been typing user <enter> pass <enter> for the
>     past fifteen years, but 6-18 year olds with limited computer
>     exposure get confused.  Confusion == questions.  Questions == time.
>
>   - User list.  This blows away legacy MS Windows, incidentally, whose
>     login screen stumps a lot of the kids, many with marginal language
>     skills (I tend to draw the line at being able to spell your own
>     name).
>
> Other than that, the overall appearance is neat and clean without too
> many buttons to fiddle.
>
> FWIW, current desktop is mostly XFCE4, though I let 'em choose.  Got one
> who'se aping my WindowMaker desktop, another likes KDE.
>

> In a lot of contexts, offering a locale choice at login might be seen as
> a liability rather than an advantage:  more choices == more confusion ==
> more chance for error.  O ghod!  I've ghot the ghnome disease! ....

Please edit /etc/gdm/locale.conf and remove unused locales.  This
reduces noise.  I removed all non UTF-8 ones here on my system.
If you are still in N. California, I guess you need Spanish, at least to
help people understand.

Currently, man, aptitude, mc requires traditional console but for most
new apps, UTF-8 under gnome works fine.

3 entries stay even after I emptied locale file:
 Last locale (recorded in ~/.dmrc I think.)
 System default: hard to undrstand for newbie.

Does anyone know to remove/edit these entries?