Re: How should stalin be handled on slower architectures?

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 01:59:45PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:

> >> We need cross-compilation for other reasons as well: currently, there
> >> is too little redundancy among the trusted buildds for security
> >> updates.  One failed buildd delays security updates for the whole
> >> distribution.
> > I wouldn't say that this result in needs for crosscompilers, but in
> > increasing the number of machines available for such kind of builds.
> The activity on these buildds is covered by the vendor-sec pseudo-NDA,
> so they have to be restricted (maybe to a point that you build only
> security updates on them).  I consider this as a waste of resources.

So what? Mips for example have had that many machines offers that this could
be easily done, but often those machines were rejected just because they had
r4ks instead of r5ks and therefor were labeled as "slow". *That's* a waste
of resources, IMHO...

As long as there's enough hardware, I see no need for crosscompilers except
for testing purposes (like new kernel images for m68k before the final build
runs natively, which is then uploaded).
Of course you'll need to ask actively for hardware donations especially for
older and exotic hardware, if you want to use it in some way or another.
Just sitting there and waiting silently until someone offers you some
hardware first, won't do the job.

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/