Re: How should stalin be handled on slower architectures?

* Cameron Patrick:

> Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> Mandatory cross-compilation of Debian packages is the only long-term
>> answer to this set of problem because we won't magically get more
>> address space or MIPS for legacy and embedded architectures.
>
> A lot of packages don't support full cross-compilation.

They have to be fixed once there is consensus that this is a desirable
goal.

> I suppose using distcc or similar will help a bit and not need
> modification to packages, though.

distcc doesn't help at all because it doesn't solve the problem of
huge files.

> Are we at the point yet where emulating a MIPS or m68k on a cheap,
> fast machine will go faster than the original hardware?

Current MIPS CPUs are faster than x86 for some workloads.

Efficient emulation has significant costs: somebody has to write the
emulator.  Do you propose that Debian licenses a proprietary emulator
for its buildds?  Writing an emulator (or optimizing an existing one)
is an atypical task because free software does hardly benefit from it.

> Maybe the next m68k or mips buildds might actually an i386...

cross-compilation is a way to achieve that.  There's a main advantage
over emulation: fixing packages distributes the work load evenly among
package maintainers (especially once there's a fakeroot patch to
emulate a cross-compilation environment).  Writing and maintaining an
emulator is a more centralized task.

We need cross-compilation for other reasons as well: currently, there
is too little redundancy among the trusted buildds for security
updates.  One failed buildd delays security updates for the whole
distribution.