Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 07:18:52PM +0300, Petri Latvala wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 01:26, Adam McKenna wrote:
> > Considering that dialup and dynamic IP's are filtered by a large
> >  portion of the internet, and that most people know this, deliberately
> >  and obstinately sending mail this way and insisting that everyone
> else
> >  is wrong is just poor service.
>
> For this I'd like to hear actual numbers. I recently had a dynamic IP
> for over a year and I sent mail directly from there. Never did I
> encounter such filter. In fact, I only heard of such filtering being
> done only from this thread. It's just my experience, your mileage may
> differ, but I won't buy that "...by a large portion of the internet..."
> and "...most people know this..." without actual facts. For all I know,
> it's just you filtering.
>
> In any case, I consider blind filtering without any manual (even
> quick-glancing) checks for false positives a fault of the receiver.

The dialup blacklists are not all-encompassing, I would imagine that you were
in an IP range that was not listed.

If you don't believe me about this, look for yourself at the NANOG-L
(North American Network Operators' Group) archives -- there is a good
discussion about this very issue going on right now.  These are not
amateurs, for the most part - they are the movers and the shakers of the IP
world (well, at least in North America).

--Adam