Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 10:27:47AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 01:52:54PM -0700, Adam McKenna wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 10:34:45PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > > However misconfigurations are quite frequent. I've seen numerous mails
> > > been dropped, re-encoded, or delayed because of them.
> >
> > I've seen numerous problems and delays with mail that were caused by
> > problems with the recipient's ISP, and blamed on the sender's ISP.
>
> And I've been intimately involved in debugging problems which were the fault
> of the sender's ISP.  If your point is that problems happen everywhere, then
> I agree.  If you're trying to make out that the people expressing
> dissatisfaction with their ISP's mail server are somehow incorrectly
> assessing blame, then I think you're sadly mistaken.

I think it's possible that they are incorrectly assessing blame.  What I'm
almost certain of is that a lot of them are overinflating the extent of the
issues.  If the state of the average Internet e-mail server were as bad as
some people are making it out to be, it would be a miracle that any e-mail
ever made it to its destination.

But you're still (intentionally?) missing the main point:  If you're 'stuck'
with a shitty ISP, there are many free or low cost options for reliable
e-mail, and most of them require much less work than running your own mail
server on a dynamic IP address, and whining to every tom, dick and harry on
the 'net about how you're being discriminated against.

--Adam
--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>