Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 01:41:53PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:28, Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> > If you feel some sort of punishment is due me for my call-to-arms on d-d-a,
> > then you know where to turn.  Given that our Project Leader has already
> > spoken derisively to me on this subject, I don't imagine you'll have much
> > of a hill to climb.
>
> It seems that the DPL has not spoken to you on this subject, you have merely
> been spoken to by the person who occupies the DPL office.  Someone who wants
> to punish you will probably have an uphill battle.
>
> I agree that we need to take some serious action against people who spam by
> incompetence, turning their own weapons against them is a good first step.

Please respect my mail headers.  I am sending this to the list because:

<russell@coker.com.au>: host smtp.sws.net.au[61.95.69.6] said: 554 Service
    unavailable; Client host [65.26.182.85] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net;
    Dynamic IP Address See:
    http://www.dnsbl.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?65.26.182.85 (in reply to RCPT TO
    command)

On top of the rudeness of violating the Mailing List Code of Conduct, it is
especially rude to send mail to people you refuse to receive mail from.

Please stop using this brain-dead blacklist.

[The following is a form letter.]

Hello,

You recently sent a message to a Debian Project mailing list to which I am
subscribed, and also included me in the To or CC header.

Please don't do this.  The Debian Mailing List Code of Conduct says:

  When using the Debian mailing lists, please follow these rules:

[...]
      * When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon
        copy (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly request to be
        copied.

(You can review the entire Debian Mailing List Code of Conduct at
<URL:http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/>.)

Rationally interpreted, this of course includes anything that works
equivalently to a CC, such including the original poster in the To: or Bcc:
headers, forwarding the message to the original poster, or using the
"bounce" feature of some mailers to send the message again, but rewriting the
SMTP envelope to address the original poster instead of the list.

Some people feel that it is best to send email to everyone who might
possibly be interested in a message, indifferent to whom might be
subscribed to various mailing lists, be part of the expansion of various
mailing lists, be behind an SMTP exploder, and so forth -- in other words,
that it is the responsibility of the recipient of duplicate mail messages
to handle them.

The Debian Mailing List Code of Conduct does not endorse that philosophy.
There are proven limitations with using procmail rules to eliminate
duplicate message based on Message-ID, for instance.  More importantly, the
Debian Mailing List Code of Conduct expects the *senders* of mail to
exercise discretion and good judgement; it does not place the burden of
pruning unwanted copies of mail messages upon the recipient.  You can find
discussions of this aspect of the Mailing List Code of Conduct in the
Debian mailing lists themselves, if you are interested: please see
<URL:http://lists.debian.org/search.html> to perform a search.

The subject has come up several times over the past years, and time and
again, the existing policy has been affirmed as the wisest course of
action.  Many people, myself included, use the Mail-Followup-To and
Mail-Copies-To message headers, which are honored by mail user agents such
as Mutt to control the distribution of replies to mailing lists.   Using
such headers, a person can easily indicate that he does (or does not) want
to be sent copies of replies to his message.  You may want to use an MUA
that honors these headers, as they are in fairly wide usage on the Debian
mailing lists, and may help you avoid mistakes resulting in inadvertent
violations of Debian's Mailing List Code of Conduct.

You can read more about the Mail-Followup-To and Mail-Copies-To message
headers at:

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98dec/I-D/draft-ietf-drums-mail-followup-to-00.txt
http://www.newsreaders.com/misc/mail-copies-to.html

Please note that no assertions of deliberate misconduct on your part are
intended by this message.  It is meant only to advise you as to how to
communicate more harmoniously with people involved with the Debian Project.

Thank you for your patience with this form letter, for your respect for the
Debian Project's mailing list conventions, and for your participation in
Debian.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Build a fire for a man, and he'll
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    be warm for a day.  Set a man on