Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 11:58:54PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > The real problem is that it's not uncommon for these packages to change
> > database formats during the course of their development.  That happened
> > with both snort and ClamAV, and possibly others, since woody was
> > released.  New rules are being released regularly in the new database
> > formats, but not in the old formats.  Thus, the packages in stable are
> > useless. [1] We either need to be able to update from e.g. snort 0.8 to
> > snort 0.9 with a stable point release, or we need to completely exclude
> > packages like snort from stable releases.  I believe the latter option
> > is a disservice to our users, as is the status quo.
>
> Right.  Use the security archive, we already have this feature.  No
> need to re-invent the wheel.

Except that it's our policy to not make functionality changes in point
releases.  Using a separate "volatile" section allows us to offer that
same level of stability [*] to our users.  If they don't want to install
packages that may change during the course of a stable release, then
it's trivial to leave them out.

noah

(*) Where stability is defined by an unchanging code base, similar to
    the way we use the term in our release cycle.