Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 11:56:13PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> We have experimental for that.  "Volatile" would, in my estimation, be for
> stuff that is downright dangerous or absolutely useless a year later.  The
> only reason Mozilla in woody fits this criteria is that it was pretty buggy,
> nasty, early-cycle code.  I don't think that Mozilla now fits that bill (at
> least, I can easily imagine myself using my current version of Firefox in
> two years time).

Experimental follows the same policy of sid, I tought to a little repo of
stable-aligned packages which needs frequent updates. At the date of
woody, mozilla was volatile enough :) Now 1.7 is stable enough but
I don't know how easy will be for the secteam to backport security
patches from a 1.9 or so to 1.7, within the next two years...

As a general advice I'm strongly adverse to release in stable packages
which are considered _beta_ by upstream, such as currently firefox.
This is a way to create problems to the security team in a few.
Upstreams do not support beta releases at all.
And honestly, I don't think you will use the same pre1.0 firefox in the
next two years, as well as I'm no more using mozilla 0.99 since ages.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine